Jim’s Seattle office can assist you in applying for a new passport, renewing a passport, and expediting the processing of a passport application. Below you will find information about each passport-related service that my staff can assist you with. For information on international travel, click here.
Applying for a New PassportTo obtain a new passport, applicants need to apply in person at one of 9,000 passport acceptance facilities across the United States. To find the acceptance facility nearest to you, click here. Applicants need to bring the all of the following items to the passport acceptance facility when they apply for a new passport:
- Application for passport unsigned (also available at the passport acceptance facilities);
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (ex. certified birth certificate);
- Proof of Identity (ex. driver’s license or military ID);
- Two passport-size photos (2x2, color, identical, head-on); and,
- Passport fees (age 16+: $100; age 15 and under: $85).
Renewing an Expired PassportThe easiest way renew an expired passport is by mail. To renew the passport by mail, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have an undamaged passport;<
- Received that passport within the last 15 years;
- Received that passport when you were aged 16 or older; and,
- Have the same legal name listed on the passport.
- Passport renewal form signed and dated;
- Your most recent passport;
- Two passport-size photos (2x2, color, identical, head-on);
- $75 fee payable to U.S. Department of State;
- If you have legally changed your name, you need to submit a certified copy of the legal document specifying your name change, not photocopied (ex. Marriage certificate); and,
- Apply the necessary postage and mail the padded envelope to the following address:
National Passport Processing Center
P.O. Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155
Expediting the Processing of Your Passport Typically passports take 4-6 weeks to process. Expedited service is offered for both new and renewal applicants, and usually cuts the time to 3 weeks (click here for more information). The State Department's expedited passport service costs an additional $60, plus overnight shipping costs.
If your scheduled departure date is less than two weeks away and you have not received your passport, please contact Jim’s Seattle office. Also contact Jim’s office if you have an emergency situation and are in need of a passport immediately – in some cases, Jim’s staff can help you get a passport within 72 hours.