The U.S. Department of State, specifically the Bureau of Consular Affairs through U.S. Embassies and Consulates, seeks to assist Americans who are traveling abroad or living in foreign countries.  The following are four ways that the State Department can help you during your international travel should you need it:

Travel Warnings

The State Department occasionally issues travel warnings for certain countries, which provides information about conditions abroad that may affect your safety and security. To find the State Department’s list of countries with current travel warnings, click here.

Consular Information Sheets

The State Department maintains Consular Information Sheets for every country in the world.   These sheets include such information as location of the U.S. embassy or consulate in the subject country, unusual immigration practices, health conditions, minor political disturbances, unusual currency and entry regulations, crime and security information, and drug penalties. To view a particular country’s Consular Information Sheet, click here.

Tips for Travel Abroad

The State Department provides an extensive array of travel tips for Americans traveling abroad.  Information ranges from taking your pets abroad to voting absentee while overseas. To find the State Department's travel tips, click here.

Overseas Emergencies

The Overseas Citizens' Services program offers advice to citizens who have an emergency abroad, such as a death, arrest, robbery or another unexpected crisis. If you need to contact the Overseas Citizen's Services, call, 1-888-407-4747 (from overseas call, 202-501-4444). For more information about the Overseas Citizens' Services, click here.