UPDATED: April 22, 2011
The earthquake in Japan and the ensuing tsunami have created a massive humanitarian crisis. The crisis in ongoing with damaged nuclear reactors releasing levels of radiation that are potentially harmful. This page is intended to serve as a resource for helping victims in Japan, up-to-date details on radiation levels in Washington State, reliable news sources, information regarding friends and/or relatives in Japan, as well as a guide on how to be prepared in the event of a natural disaster.
page will be regularly updated as more relevant and reliable
information becomes available. If you have any tips or suggestions
about changes/additions to the webpage, please email
Updates on the Ground in Japan
- Japan Expands Evacuation Around Nuclear Plant (April 22, 2011)
- Japanese Revisit Nuclear Zone While They Can (April 21, 2011)
- Tokyo Electric Power Company: Daily Update (April 18, 2011)
- Japan Expands Evacuation Area (April 11, 2011)
- Japan Lifts Tsunami Alert (April 7, 2011)
Helping Victims in Japan:
Radiation Levels in Washington State:
- The WA State Health Department is closely monitoring the radiation levels in Seattle, as well as other cities. As things stand, radiation from the damaged nuclear reactors in Japan is NOT a health risk in Washington. You can find specific information on the radiation levels at this website, which is frequently updated: "WA State Health Department: Air Monitoring Stations" (this news release from the WA Health Department provides background about the monitoring site: "No Health Risks," March 21, 2011).
- Governor Chris Gregoire's Statement - Ongoing Radiological Monitoring (March 30, 2011)
Recommended news sources that are frequently updated:
- BBC News: "Japan Earthquake"
- NPR: Special Series, "Crisis in Japan"
- NY Times: "Japan — Earthquake, Tsunami and Nuclear Crisis (2011)"
- The Guardian: "Japan Earthquake and Tsunami"
- Kyodo News (English): "Japan Quake"
For information regarding friends or relatives in Japan, you can visit:
- U.S. Department of State
- Consulate-General of Japan in Seattle
- U.S. Embassy in Tokyo
- Google Person Finder
- Consult this guide provided by the Seattle Times.
- March 26, 2011: Jim went to the "Artists for Japan" auction and donated a personal painting. (Photo)
- March 19, 2011: Jim spoke at the Seattle Japan Relief Community Gathering and Ceremony. (Photo)
- March 18, 2011: Jim attended a service at the Seattle Buddhist Temple for Japan.
- March 15, 2011: Jim spoke on the House floor about the situation in Japan. (Video)
- March 13, 2011: Jim was interviewed by Seattle's KOMO News. (Video)
- March 11, 2011: Jim sent a letter to Ambassador Fujisaki. (PDF)
- March 11, 2011: Jim recorded a video reaction after the news broke. (Video)